SUMMER’S here, which means sandals, bare feet, and exposed toes. Are your toes ready for their close-up though? Here are some handy tips to help prevent, or eliminate, toenail fungus so that you can put your best foot forward in your favourite flip-flops…
Do your nails look thick and dry and crumbly? Are they dull and discoloured? Brittle? In severe cases, you may notice your toenails growing loose and crumbling away from the nailbed. If you’re not sure, visit a podiatrist for a professional diagnosis.
Toenail fungus can be caused by tiny organisms called dermatophytes that feed on keratin (the protein found in nails and hair). It can be contracted from nail salons, public showers, and even from your own feet! “Most people contract toenail fungus from a fungal skin infection such as athlete’s foot that transfers to the nail,” says Jane E. Andersen, DPM, a podiatrist at Chapel Hill Foot and Ankle Associates in North Carolina and a spokesperson for the American Podiatric Medical Association.
Toenail fungus affects around 14 percent of the US population, according to a study published in the July 2014 issue of The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology. It’s one of the most common foot conditions that podiatrists treat.
• Avoid walking barefoot in public places (like changing rooms and public showers)
• Be very discerning when it comes to getting professional pedicures and make sure the spa you use is scrupulously clean. Better still, do your own pedicures at home
• Wash your feet daily and dry them thoroughly. Make sure to keep them dry, as fungi thrive in dampness
• Trim your toenails regularly with sanitised scissors or nail clippers
• Don’t wear damp shoes
• Sprinkle your shoes and the insides of your socks with antifungal powder
• Disinfect your shower, bath, and bathroom regularly
• Wear clean, dry socks that allow your feet to breath.
Zane Hellas’s natural, paint-on FUNGUS STOP Antifungal Nail Solution has just been selected bywww.medconsumers.com as their #1 most effective toenail fungus treatment for 2017. Containing oregano oil, almond oil, tea tree oil, calendula, avocado oil and extra virgin olive oil, FUNGUS STOP penetrates into the nail to nourish its structure, kill the fungus, and restore the nail to health.
If toenail fungus problems persist, please consult a medical professional.
by Precious Williams.